Monday, February 23, 2015

Why Governor Brown is going to fire someone

Here's a challenge for anyone who is not self employed.  I want you to share with me every email coming into or going out of your organization.  Not just yours, but those of everyone who works there.  I promise to keep the emails confidential, unless I decide that something's wrong.  In that case I'll release whatever I want to a newspaper reporter, with however much or however little supporting material I see fit.  I'll also do it anonymously, so you'll have no recourse against me and no way of preventing me from doing it again.

Who's up for it?

I don't think any responsible organization would accept such terms.  Why would they trust my judgment of what is right or wrong?  Even if they trusted my judgment how would they know I wouldn't misinterpret something or misunderstand the context?  And how would they know I'd safeguard sensitive personal or confidential information?

I pose this challenge because that's basically where Oregon's state government is.  A culture of leaking has set in, in which employees are deciding on their own what belongs in public.  Bright red lines have been crossed, such as attorney client privilege.  I don't think any organization could function long under such circumstances.  How do you work in a place where anything you said could be used against you, not in a court of law but in tomorrow's smear piece?

Given that, it shouldn't surprise anyone that one of the first things to happen under Governor Brown is a crackdown on leaking.  If she wants to be in charge, leakers and newspaper reporters can't be.

No comments: